That said, I think many law school graduates get overly stressed out and obsessed about taking the bar, and spend too much time studying. Most bar exams are primarily just tests of memorization. They’re not much of an intellectual challenge, and require far less thinking than most law school exams.
Most important, all you have to do is pass. Unlike on the SAT or the LSAT, there is no need to maximize your score. As one of my law school classmates put it, every point you score above the minimum needed to pass is evidence that you spent too much time studying. I took this excellent advice to heart, and saved a lot of time and aggravation as a result (primarily by not attending any Bar/Bri lectures, and confining my preparation efforts to reading the books and taking some practice tests). If you’re reasonably good at managing your time and memorizing legal rules, you can probably do the same thing.
There is some disagreement in the comment thread….
The more interesting question is the one he addresses in the post’s initial paragraph: what is the purpose of the bar exam? And, by extension, should they even exist?
Well, yes, they can exist if they are part of a voluntary credentialing system that attorneys could use to some competitive advantage and that consumers could use as part of their attorney selection process. But, as Somin notes, current bar exams are little more than another barrier to entry put in place by a state enforced monopoly.
As such the consuming public would be best served if they were eliminated.
NB: No, this is not an endorsement of the republicans.
Update: Except that is not quite everything! I failed to remember the lesson Arthur has taught me before:
At this point, if you are at all honest, you must give up the pathetic grasping for explanations, excuses and justifications: that the Democrats act as they do because they are weak, or cowardly, or being blackmailed. (Honestly, will you grow the fuck up?)
This is what they want. When an individual or a government repeats the same actions over and over and over again, even when those actions appear to lead to disaster, you must conclude that they pursue those actions because they want to.
Repeat after me: this is what they want!
If popularity were synonymous with accurate or useful or expert, then America would have been created 6,000 years ago by a magical giant with a long white beard, and everyone in the world would be a porn star.
We’ll post links to sites that have Friday (plus or minus a few days) photos of their chosen animals (photoshops at our discretion and humans only in supporting roles). Watch the Exception category for rocks, beer, coffee cups, and….?
Visit all the boarders, Link to the Ark and check back for updates through Sunday afternoon!
You can board the Friday Ark by submitting your post here, leaving a comment or a trackback to this post or emailing fridayark AT themodulator.org.
You can find previous editions at the not quite up to date Arkives page.
- Blog d’Elisson: Hakuna, perched at the top of the stairs
- House of Chaos: That cutest wake-up call
- Furry Paws: Sebastian (hearts) Greenies!!
- It’s Morning Somewhere: FCB ~ Dreaming and reflecting: Cotton
- Life from a Cat’s Perspective: Finally Friday with Samantha and Mr. Tigger
- Dragonheart’s Domain: Frootbat Friday
- Pet’s Garden Blog: Finally Friday ~ Before The Chaos
- Manx Mnews: Finally Friday ~ Abby cleaning….
- Perfectly Parker: Wayback Wednesday
- This, That & The Other Thing: Finally Feline Friday ~ Kosmo, King of Zen
- Sisu: The Tiny’s not for turning
- Why Now?: Friday Cat Blogging ~ Oscar the Slouch
- Texas Oasis: Furbaby Friday ~ 2 close!
- composite drawlings: Friday Catblog ~ What’s new?
- anniemiz: Friday Cat Blogging ~ Edison & His Wonder Medicine
- Cat-a-holic: Snoopervising
- Chey’s Place: Find Chey Friday
- Daisy the Curly Cat: Fashion Friday ~ I am the cat’s meow…
- Real Art: Friday Cat Blogging: Phil and Reine
- Wildrun: Everyone needs distractions…
- notes from the kelp: Friday Cat Curling
- 10,000 Monkeys and a Camera: Friday Creatures ~ Cats of Turkey
- Mind of Mog: Temptations
- Life from a Cat’s Perspective: Wordless Wednesday with Samantha and Mr. Tigger
- Mercury Rising: Friday Cat Blogging boarded 6/28
- Laelaps: Kittens boarded 6/28
- Cat Whisperer: This Week’s Excitement boarded 6/28
- Catymology: Tablecat returns boarded 6/28
- Music and Cats: Feline Friday ~ Cat Clash boarded 6/28
- The Oubliette: caturday catblogging ~ Eep and Callie boarded 6/28
- CatSynth: Weekend Cat Blogging: ~ Playfulness boarded 6/28
- Mind of Mog: Surprise ~ Bazel
- iInfidel: Caturdayboarded 6/28
- Imeowza: Caturday boarded 6/28
- What Works For Us: How To Get A Toddler To Wear A Helmet
- The Pet Haven: Kelso enjoys a day in the sun
- Val’s Bien: I’m Sorry!
- composite drawlings: Dogblog ~ Clyde, the hot dog
- Athenamama: Picture Perfect Papa
- Duck Pond: Friday Night Dog Blog ~ June Jaunt: Sasha and Dexter
- Pamibe: Canine Carnival #35
- Coyote Mercury: Friday Hound Blogging ~ Just a Little Snack
- Mountain Musings: Fridays are Golden Lucy and Ellie boarded 6/28
- Random Thoughts of Life: Friday Ark – Winter boarded 6/28
- Into the Deep: Scroll down for a Ladybug
- Wanderin’ Weeta With Waterfowl (and Weeds): Seeing Spots and Ambush!
- Rurality: More Spiny Caterpillars
- Myrmecos Blog: Forelius Flying
- Pharyngula: Friday Cephalopod ~ The Amazing Disappearing Octopus Trick! ( Octopus kaurna)
- Niches: On the Bottlebrush
- Ontogeny: Friday Ant Zen ~ Black Carpenter Ant, Camponotus pennsylvanicus
- Ecobirder: Duskywing Skippers boarded 6/28
- It’s Just Me: I and the Bird #78
- millertime: Creature Feature ~ Birds and an American Toad
- Birdfreak Birding Blog: Phriday Photo ~ Red-headed Woodpecker HDR
- Mon@rch’s Nature Blog: Pileated Woodpecker [Poem]
- Vulture Cafe: Juvenile Red-breasted Nuthatch boarded 6/18
- Henry’s Webiocosm Blog: Friday Herpblogging ~ Red-eared Slider, Trachemys scripta elegans
- Rurality: Turtle identification made extremely difficult
- Pet Monologues: Squirrel branding
- millertime: Creature Feature ~ Birds and an American Toad
- Atlantic Ave.: Slitherin’
- Socratic Gadfly: Friday Scat Blogging ~ scat you don’t want to see
- Suger Mountain Farm: Economic Stimulus Package
- What Do I Know: Friday Goat Blogging boarded 6/28
- Cascade Exposures: Douglas’ Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii) boarded 6/28
- TacJammer: Bounce, 1991-2008
Didn’t Make It
Exceptions (inclusion not guaranteed)
- Pet Monologues: Sooper dooper pooper bag
Extra, Extra: All Ark boarders are invited to shout out at the Friday Ark Frapper Map.
Cat folks: remember to submit your links to:
- Carnival of the Cats which goes up every Sunday
- Weekend Cat Blogging which goes up every weekend
- The 159th edition, 6/21-6/22, is up at Mind of Mog
- The 160th edition, 6/28-6/29, will be hosted by the Stellaluna’s Diary
- Bad Kitty Cats Festival of Chaos which goes up every weekend
- The 50th edition, 6/22, is up at CatSynth
- The 51st edition, 6/29, will be hosted by Pet’s Garden Blog
- Do go shout out at The Catbloggers Frappr Map
Birders: I and the Bird: A Blog Carnival for Bird Lovers is published every 2 weeks.
- The 78th edition, 6/26, is up at It’s Just Me
- The 79th (3rd Anniversary) edition, 7/10, will be hosted by 10,000 Birds
For the spineless: Circus of the Spineless. A monthly celebration of Insects, Arachnids, Molluscs, Crustaceans, Worms and most anything else that wiggles.
- The 33rd edition, May, is up at Seeds Aside
- The 34th edition, June, will be hosted by Gossamer Tapestry
Dog folks: remember to submit your links to:
- The Canine Carnival hosted by Pamibe
- The Carnival of the Dogs hosted by Mickey’s Musings
has been out of operation since July 2007