No, I’m not going to do much Apple bashing here.
My MacBook Pro has been running continuously for 9 days and 23 hours including multiple bus commutes where it is a treat to be online immediately on opening the lid while my traveling companions, using various Windoze machines (generally shiny Dell Computers), are tapping their fingers for 2-3 minutes…
The Free Software Foundation, though, thinks that you should buy their phone instead of an iPhone 3G. Here are their 5 real reasons to avoid iPhone 3G:
- iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can’t be on everyone’s phones.
- Ed: Well this is not exactly a tax-you won’t go to jail if you don’t pay it. This is not to say I think Apple’s closed model is a good thing.
- iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology.
Ed: A good point.
- iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
- Ed: How is this is different from any other cell phone?
- iPhone won’t play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis and Theora.
- Ed: This might be a reason to choose something else but, really, how many folks are using anything besides ACC and MP3 on their players?
- iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on the horizon that respect your freedom, don’t spy on you, play free media formats, and let you use free software — like the FreeRunner.
- Ed: Yep, lot’s of choices out there. For my purposes the little Sanyo works just fine.
The sixth, and number one reason not to buy an iPhone in the US:
You will be supporting a criminal organization: AT&T.
It is clear that AT&T committed illegal acts prior to being granted immunity by a cowardly congress and it is clear that AT&T continues to commit immoral and unconstitutional acts to this day. We do not need to quietly accept the behavior of war criminals or the illegal and immoral acts of corporations.
The iPhone may be cool and, yes I want one, but I’m not buying anytime soon. Why are you supporting AT&T?
Both a boycott and picketing are reasonable first steps to reestablishing justice in the US. If enough join in perhaps even congress will mend its ways.
Via Just Well Mixed.
The 6 Top Reasons Not To Buy An Iphone – How Get Free Macbook Pro ♦ Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro News
[…] an interesting post was made today on this site […]…
I also heard yesterday that the new 3G iPhone has 70+ software bugs that are yet to be resolved.
Great post by the way!